Here's a couple of the finished illustrations along with the initial pencil sketches. Ted knew he wanted a watercolour look right from the start and I figured it would be fun to do these traditionally ie; real paint. That idea got the kibosh due to deadlines, the need for multiple variations, global warming and the fact that I am not very good at painting.
I ended up using Artrage to paint up my pencils. I had a pretty tough time with it - I find the interface a bit weird and it really seems to struggle with large images but boy it does some neat stuff! It's kinda cool not knowing how something works and just goofing around with it, sometimes stuff happens that is better than what your dumb brain would come up with. The tough bit is trying to make it happen again!
There's a demo of Artrage but the full version is only like a hundred bucks, well worth it in my most humblest of opinions.